Premium Float Backcountry Course
This float flying course provides the most in depth float plane training experience to not only help you obtain you Airplane Single Engine Sea (ASES) ratings but also to develop your back country flying skills.
This Premium Float Backcountry Flying Course is an in depth Backcountry Flying Course in the tricky Alaskan back country. You will experience some of the most beautiful lakes and mountains in the world, which feature landscape and terrain that provide the best training experience you can find around. Learn to fly floats into some of the most spectacular lakes in Alaska. We offer some of the best floatplane training settings in the US with big lake water, mountain lakes, and advanced mountain flying. Our instructors have vast amounts of flying experience on floats and in mountain locations, so you will get the best instruction possible in a unique backcountry setting.
The mountains are calling, and we must go… fly them. Alaska hosts a rich stock of backcountry lakes, and it’s one of our great pleasures to introduce them to pilots seeking adventure and flight experience that will benefit them throughout their life. With our backcountry courses, it doesn’t matter if you have 50 hours or 5,000 hours. We take your skill set, and safely build it up flying the best areas of Alaska while having a blast flying. Our Super Cubs on floats allow us to get into some of the most remote backcountry lakes and explore The Last Frontier. Let us help plan your next fun flying adventure.
The Alaska Float Ratings Float Premium Float Backcountry Course
This will consist of ground training, where Pilots will learn the basics of how to fly floats and in mountainous terrain. Students are taught the fundamentals of performance considerations, developing go-no-go judgment skills, mountain flight planning, and developing confidence for mountain flying.
Each student will have the chance to fly fifteen hours of customized backcountry flight training. Common training locations include Johnson Pass, Fjords Glaciers, Grant Lake, Johnson Lake, Russian Lakes and more. Training locations are tailored to each pilots requests and needs.
The primary objective of this course is to teach you to fly floats while greatly improving overall pilot proficiency, safety, confidence and skill when operating not only in the backcountry by virtually anywhere, and therefore reducing the risk of accidents while building your and mountain flying skills.
Even if you don’t intend to fly in the backcountry or mountains very often, the techniques and procedures you will learn are guaranteed to make you a much more proficient, confident, safer and skilled pilot in general in your every day flying.
The best part of this training curriculum is that there are a few hours of built on “play time” at the end. When you’ve completed the standards for your ASES rating you can then use that extra time to improve your float flying and back country flying skills or pick from some of the most majestic locations in Alaska to fly in and enjoy your adventure.
The Premium Float Backcountry Flying Course consists of:
- Aircraft and mountain flying familiarization
- Water take-offs and landings – Understanding performance, safe and efficient approaches, power and energy management, reading the wind, etc.
- Detailed lake evaluation concepts – How to read the water, the wind and the geography in order to safely plan and execute every approach, landing and departure in tricky mountainous terrain.
- Mountain flying – with emphasis on valleys, canyons, confined space maneuvering and canyon turns, winds and visualization of up and downdrafts.
- Emergency and precautionary procedures in mountain flying environments and water environments.
- “Seat of the pants” flying – flying with minimal reference to instruments.
- There’s always some extra flight time allotted that allows you to hone your skills or just enjoy the scenery and experience the best that Alaska has to offer.
- 4-5 Days
- 10 hrs of flight time
- 1-2 hrs of ground school orientation
- Extra aircraft time A/C @ $395 per hr
- Checkride fee NOT included
- Course ONLY $4395
- Course with 1 room cabin rental $4910
* Larger family cabins available upon request (for additional cost